I love a good pot roast. Just the smell of it cooking will fill your home with warmth and goodness. It even tastes better the next day as the flavors develop even brighter as left overs! After various trials, this is possibly the best pot roast recipe I’ve come by thus far…and it’s pretty simple.
The recipe is a modified version from The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond. Here is all you need to know about making a great pot roast:
Delicious Pot Roast
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Feeds: 6-8 People
- 1 whole (3-5 lb) chuck roast
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 whole onions (cut in quarters)
- 4-6 cloves garlic (smashed)
- 6-8 whole carrots (cut in 2 inch pieces)
- 2 lbs red or yellow potatoes (cut in quarters)
- Salt To Taste
- Pepper To Taste
- 1 cup red wine
- 2-3 cups beef stock
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, or more to taste
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, or more to taste
- Preheat the oven to 275F. Salt and pepper the chuck roast generously.
- Heat a large Dutch on the stove top with medium-high heat and add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- When the oil in the pot is hot, add in the onions, carrots, and garlic. Brown them for up to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and set aside.
- Add a couple of tablespoons more olive oil to Dutch oven and place the chuck roast into the pan for searing. Sear all sides until it is nice and brown. This can take up to 10 minutes or so. Remove the roast and set aside on a plate.
- Keep the Dutch oven hot and use 1 cup of red wine to deglaze the pan, scraping the bottom to release any charred bits.
- Once deglazed, place the roast back in and add 2 to 3 cups beef stock to cover the meat halfway. Add in the onion, carrots, garlic, potatoes, as well as 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary and 3 sprigs of fresh thyme.
- Place the lid on the Dutch oven and roast in the oven at 275F oven for about 3 hours (3 lb roast) or 4 hours (4-5 lb roast). Enjoy!
Original recipe with detailed instructions available at The Pioneer Woman.
Pot roast is comfort food that commands a heavier wine body to match its dense and meaty texture. Here are just a few suggestions from our shop to go with your meal: